Vaccines are one of the most cost-effective means to prevent death and disability, improve public health and economic prosperity. However, outbreaks of vaccine preventable diseases such as diphtheria, measles and polio in the Pacific highlight the low levels of routine immunisation coverage that have existed over many years. ARIA-RISE will improve immunisation coverage and surveillance in target countries in the region through implemented of activities and provision of expert advice.
ARIA is a member-based alliance of experts with a range of skills and experience in immunisation and vaccine preventable disease-related work in our region.
ARIA-RISE provides countries with access to the expertise of ARIA members. ARIA members have existing projects and working relationships with Ministries of Health and other implementation partners across the Pacific, as well as strong established connections with WHO, the Pacific Community, UNICEF, Gavi, Asian Development Bank and others.
Current ARIA-RISE projects include:
- Rapid Formative Assessment
- Seroprevalence of SARS-CoV-2 and select vaccine-preventable diseases in Timor-Leste
- Regional Guidelines for Measles and Rubella Outbreak Preparedness and Response in the WPR
- Immunisation Education Training Program for Mid-Level Managers
- Point-of-care testing to determine dengue serostatus: a field evaluation study in Timor-Leste
- Serological surveillance for vaccine preventable diseases in the Western Pacific Region
- Vaccine Champions – Strengthening Vaccine Communication Program
- Sero-Surveillance for Vaccine Preventable Diseases: A component of the reaching zero-dose children and under-immunised communities in East New Britain, Papua New Guinea health systems strengthening project
- Development of a community-based intervention to improve immunization coverage among children with disability in Fiji to inform practice in the Pacific
- Determining Streptococcus pneumoniae carriage in children under five in Timor-Leste: A cross-sectional pre-vaccination survey
- Vaccination behavioural insights research to inform tailored resource development in three Pacific Island Countries
- Reaching Zero-Dose children in the Solomon Islands: Technical assistance for Solomon Islands Ministry of Health and Medical Services Extended Program on Immunisation (supplementary)